Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Eat!Vancouver Festivities

Jacqueline and I checked out the new convention center for the first time this weekend, hitting up the Eat Vancouver Food and Cooking Festival in search for some interesting local grub. The tickets were $15 at the door, $12 online, or $10 if you buy them off scalpers like we did. The food tickets were 50 cents each and each food item was about 4 or 5 tickets ($2 - $2.50), so it was reasonably priced. The only setback was that we got a little overzealous buying the tickets and were full before we ran out. See Solution Below. 


Technically the first thing that I ate was some Butter Chicken from an Indian booth, but I was too hungry to remember to take a picture. These are lamb tacos from Dona Cata, and although the sauces weren't as good as La Taqueria, they were made with lotsa Latino loooooove. 

What makes a ham samich Peruvian? I'm guessing the slow-cooked pork part. Even with the plain-old mustard it was tasty.

Butterscotch pudding with chocolate from Milestones. Reminded me exactly why I don't eat at Milestones. BORING.

Smoked salmon and creme cheese panini from Fishworks. We had to wait the longest for this one, but didn't mind because we were distracted by the cute and chatty promoter boy. It was good, I'd eat it again if it had more filling. 
My first experience eating Kangaroo was from the Australian tourism booth. I give it an overall thumbs up, it tastes similar to venison. The mini sammich was called a Slider, so for the rest of the day I had stuck in my head (in an Australian accent): "G'Day Mate, Roo Slida?"

 What to do with all the left over food tickets? Hit up the alcohol samps!
Ps. avoid Canadian-made tequila, it tastes like gasoline.

No comments:

Post a Comment