Thursday, July 15, 2010

Was it as Guud for you as it was for me?

I can't say for sure, but this may not have been my first Guu experience. Upon entering the Thurlow location I had a vague flashback from one of my first visits to Vancouver while still super sheltered. All the shouting flooded back feelings of being scared and overwhelmed and totally weirded out by the food (reminder: I grew up in a town where dining out was a choice between DQ and A&W). Needless to say, my I hope that my palate and courage have grown up a little bit this time around.

The niche of Ikazayas is it's own little world, nothing is quite like it. The Guu crew understands that it's about so much more than just the food; it's about the busy atmosphere, the loud comraderie, the steady flow of cold beer in little cups, the cute japanese server girls, and small portions so that you never get bored. If you go back it's not only because of the unique food, but because you had an effing good time eating it. 

This always reminds me of the Little Mermaid
 Tuna Tartar. Pretty, but generally just meh.
Beef Carpachio.
Baked Shrimp and Avocado in Cheese. Surprisingly dissapointing.
Fried Eggplant. Tied for my favorite.
Black Cod. Tied for my favorite.
DEEP FRIED BRIE CHEESE!!!

Guu on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Dear god! Deep fried brie cheese.. truly a dish to 'die' for.

    I love Guu. My favorite part are the screaming japanese waitresses. Sometimes I leave Guu with a ringing in my ears matched only by a really loud rock concert.

    ReplyDelete