Sunday, November 23, 2008

It's All About The Process

I have taken this challenge to eat at all of the eateries on Davie and Denman very seriously. But geez how many sushi places can there be on two streets? Ten to be exact. Thank goodness I'm not taking-on all of downtown Vancouver! I formulated a plan to eat at all of the restaurants in an orderly manner by dividing them up into ethnic categories (ie: Greek, Japanese, Indian, Mediteranian (kindof a catch-all in the Falafal department), Italian, European, Chinese, French, etc) and Western sub-catagories (ie: Pizza Joint, Burger Joint, Breakfast Joint, Sandwhich Joint, Smoothy Joint, etc) and completing one catagory at a time. It seems easy right? But once I think about it there are multiple potential problems, such as: what do I do about the places that I have already eaten at? When it comes time for that specific category do I have to eat there again to freshen my memory? Naw, screw it, if it is unmemorable then it probably isn't worth a second time around. Or does it deserve a second chance? How many items off the menu do I have to eat? What if the categories overlap, like Italian restaurant that serves pizza? Or a "Greek Taverna" that serves Indian food? Deep Breath....I guess it's just all about the Process....Har Har.

To begin I divided the Japanese restaurants into three categories: Sushi, Izakaya, and Noodle, and started down the list of sushi establishments. Buuuuuuut I'm easily distracted. I've only eaten at half of them, but five out of ten is still relatively good progress right? A person can only handle so much miso soup! In this blustery-weather time of year I'm more inclined to be homeward bound and make up a recipie as I go along and throw a bunch of stuff into a crock-pot and cuddle up with a good book. Although this being my first winter in Vancouver I'm willing to forgive the rain because I'm still amazed at how mild it is here. I digress, in any case I still need to get through five more sushi restaurants. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment