Sunday, November 2, 2008

Treats

When I'm walking down Davie at seven in the morning after a night-shift the only things that are open are coffee shops and bakeries. So when my weaknesses include sweets and treats and pastries, it's hard not to stop and indulge at one of the eighteen-million bakeries on my route. Well technically there are only four: Cobbs, the Transylvanian one, and then the two Chinese ones. My personal favorites include the Tiramisu from Transylvanian Traditions - Bakery and Sweet Shop, the Lemon Tart from Maple Leaf Bakery, the Cream Puff or Eclair from Beard Papa's on Denman, and the Crousant and million-grain bread at Cobbs. When it comes down to strictly doughnuts, I don't think that I could say no to a box of Krispy Kreme's!

In the past couple years I have re-trained myself to eat only healthy, multigrain bread, therefore haven't eaten white bread in ages and I miss it's nutrient-void fluffyness. It's like a sinful, guilty pleasure. I remember as a kid my mom would either make 16-inch loaves of white bread (which we could then cut into one-inch slices and lather in butter) or buy white bread from the bakery in a five loaf "family pack". And on the drive home the four of us kids would have, slice by slice, devoured a whole loaf. And we wondered why it wasn't filling? But I guess people still buy white bread because when I walk by the bakeries there are cooling racks stacked with doughy white loaves, fresh from the oven, steaming in the windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment