Monday, November 3, 2008

Mongolian Grill-a-licious!

I am seriously dedicating a whole entry entirely to The Mongolian Grill. There are so many things that I love about this place, it's cheap, I can walk there on my lunch break, the service is cute, it's entertaining to watch, it's fast, and it can be relatively healthy if you make the right choices. I always have the Big Bowl Lunch Special for $6.95 because the small bowl is too small and even though it's only a dollar more, who needs the all-you-can-eat option? (Tiny side-note here, I have seen people go back for seconds and thirds, and it's not pretty) You have to get there before 4:30 or else they change it to "dinner" prices, and I've never been there for dinner, but I've heard that the only addition to the smorgasbord is pineapple.

So for those of you who have never been it's simple, you get your bowl, pick your meat (lamb, chicken, pork, or beef) I'm personally a beef fan, pick your noodle (white or off-white (I don't really know what the difference is!)), then your veggies, then your sauce, then the man at the grill fries it all up for you with his long tongs. This is all self-serve, and while you wait the server brings to your table a little bowl of rice and a little bowl of soup.

So my tips are:
1. Obviously go for the Big Bowl Lunch Special, it's the best bang for your buck.
2. If you're a meat lover scoop the frozen meat slices into your bowl, then use your fist to squish it to the bottom, your body heat melts the slices slightly and makes more room for more meat. If needed repeat!!
3. Don't pick tomatoes, they get fried up all weird and end up soggy and stringy.
4. Put your noodles on last because they can heap up nicely, whereas the veggies slide off when your bowl gets too full. So order should go meat, veggies, noodle, sauce.
5. Don't follow the sauce recipe guidelines, they don't really work and it's usually way more than necessary. As long as you have one scoop of an oil option and about two scoops of a sauce option you're good to go.
6. DON'T GO TO THE MONGOLIAN GRILL ON DENMAN! I had my first Mongolian grill experience there and it almost ruined me. The little bowl of soup had the flavor and consistency of mucus. Stick with the one on Davie.

2 comments:

  1. Also, if you put your frozen meat in first, then go straight to the sauces and poor them on, if totally softens them for the pushing, with other veggies and noodles that is. Are you going to the one on Main?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, just the one on Davie, it's only a couple blocks from my house. And if any of my family/friends visit me I drag them there and force them to experience it!

    ReplyDelete